Pradnya Saravade currently works as the Additional Director General,
looking after administration of Maharashtra Police. She joined the Indian Police Service
in 1989, serving in the state of West Bengal for six years, before her transfer to Mumbai
to work in the Central Bureau of Investigation (1996-2000) and then the Maharashtra
cadre. She has worked as Deputy Commissioner of Police, Enforcement, in
the Mumbai Police,
where she supervised investigation of cases involving
human trafficking, cyber crime, intellectual property rights and counterfeiting.
She has also been in charge of the Port Zone in Mumbai which included the police stations of Yellow Gate, Sewri and Wadala, apart from the entire coastal policing of the city of Mumbai. She had had a stint in the Crime Branch (Preventive) too, looking after preventive law enforcement, social crime involving juveniles and women, intellectual property violation and community policing strategies.
Pradnya has also worked in the in the Central Bureau of Investigation's Bank Securities and Fraud Cell at Mumbai. During this period, she handled the investigation and trial of the Securities' Scam cases, involving Harshad Mehta and others. After her promotion as Deputy Inspector General, she headed the Mumbai unit of the Anti Corruption Bureau. Later, she served on deputation in the Securities and Exchange Board of India for three years and headed the investigation wing as an Executive Director. She has worked in City and Industrial Development Corporation (CIDCO) looking after vigilance, and risk management.
Pradnya did her field training in North 24 Pargana district of West Bengal. She has handled the work of administration in the Intelligence Branch, West Bengal and the North 24 Pargana district and airport security of Calcutta airport.
Pradnya is a medical doctor, having done her MBBS and MS (General Surgery), from the Grant Medical College of Mumbai.
- Pradnya has written and published two articles, both published in the CBI Bulletin. The first one on Trends in Money Laundering was published in May 1999, whereas the second, on Community Policing in Slums in July 2001. Pradnya has been working in the area of Community Policing for past three years.
- Her article on Community Policing Initiatives in Mumbai Police can be downloaded from this link (PDF file, 103 KB).
- For last few months, Pradnya has supervised the project of setting up of the Mumbai Cyber Lab, a joint initiative of Mumbai Police and NASSCOM. MCL was inaugurated on 8 March, 2004, by Mr A.N. Roy, Commissioner of Police, Mumbai. Click here for downloading Pradnya's presentation on the MCL inauguration.
- Pradnya also contributed to an article, titled Emerging Scenarios of Cyber Frauds in India, based on some recent cases of cyber fraud in Mumbai, investigation of which was supervised by Pradnya. The article was published in the December 2003 of the CBI Bulletin. It can be downloaded in pdf format from here.
- Pradnya’s occasional blog is at pradnyanblog.wordpress.com and her Twitter handle is @pravaasi.